GOVERNMENT OF Alberta
WESTAC MEMBER SINCE: 1975
Alberta Transportation provides a safe, innovative, and sustainable world class transportation system that supports a strong economy, a high quality of life, and a healthy environment for all Albertans.
The Ministry plans, develops, and preserves a transportation system that includes more than 31,000 km of roadways that connect families, communities and businesses to local and international destinations. It also designs, constructs and maintains Alberta’s water management infrastructure.
Alberta Transportation’s responsibilities include:
• Leading the Alberta Traffic Safety Plan.
• Promoting a safe and sustainable multi-modal transportation system.
• Working with other levels of governments and stakeholders on transportation policy, program and legislative items.
• Providing funds to municipalities through various grant programs to build and maintain sustainable transportation infrastructure.
• Providing appeal and independent review processes through the Alberta Transportation Safety Board.
Alberta Transportation operates five regional offices and employs approximately 900 full-time employees. As part of its three-year construction program, Alberta Transportation is planning to invest more than $9 billion in the provincial transportation system over the next three years.